Tuesday, June 01, 2004

More on the leaflets

I mentioned in the comments below that I generally pick up all deposited political leaflets and bring them straight to the bin (recycling, that is). Well, it was only yesterday that I was shown the error of this strategy. Some of the leaflets have my full name and address on them!

I couldn't believe it. I never throw anything away with my full address intact, so I had to go out to the recycling bin and start going through the pile looking for any leaflets with my address. I found 4 - two from Sinn Féin and two from Labour.

I presume these campaigns got my name and address (and my wife's, which is why we had two each) from the voting register. Is there any way to indicate that you'd rather not get such "droppings"? Can I take my name off the "mailing list" aspect of the voting register? Or do I have to renounce voting altogether in order to be safe from the local political parties sending me personalized campaign leaflets?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just accept leaflets are part of living in a democratic society. Many people give out about not hearing from their politicians, especially between elections, so its good the parties concerned keep in touch with you.

5:29 PM, April 17, 2006  
Blogger Eagle said...

Other than one exception, no local politician has asked me if I'd prefer to receive e-mail than the leaflets. And, just because some people complain about not hearing from their politicians, I don't think it's anywhere near a majority who are missing them when they're silent.

12:28 PM, April 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger