Thursday, July 08, 2004

Speed traps

Last night I was driving back from Shankill to Bray. Just before I came to the big round-about at the beginning of Bray, I passed two Gardai checking for speeders. I've often seem them there around the same time (9pm). I was half expecting them to be there.

Anyway, what struck me is that this road is clearly designed for traffic to travel at greater than 30MPH. Before the road was resurfaced, the speed limit was 40MPH. Now with a new surface, the road is safer and cars could do 40 without causing too much danger. It's a struggle to keep the car going at 30 or less.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the Gardai trying to tackle the speeding epidemic here. I'm all for it, but I do wonder how they decide where to set their traps. As I've said I've seen them in this location many times, but I haven't once seen a Guard checking for speed along the roadworks on the M11. And, that's where real danger is.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll say it again. I try to go around the 40MPH between Loughlinstown and Shankill, particularly on weekdays when the work crews are out. Keeping to the speed limit is, however, nearly suicidal. I'd love once to see the Guards along that road even if they're not looking for people doing as much as 50. But, the gap between my 40MPH and those who are doing 70+ is so great that it can be frightening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger