Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Sorrento Park

Thanks to a scheduling foul-up - basically I thought I was supposed to be meeting someone at 11:45, but it was actually supposed to be 12:15 - I had a chance to go for a walk in Dalkey this morning. I walk around Dalkey a lot, so nothing unusual about that.

Today, I walked down Coliemore Road past the Harbour and up again towards the corner. Then I made a spur of the moment decision to go into Sorrento Park, where I probably haven't been in more than five years. I had forgotten how amazing this place is.

As you approach it, your impression is of an overgrown, not very well maintained walk through some bushes. But, once you get past the entrance you see the park is actually fairly neatly kept. First thing you see (from where I entered, anyway) is a mosaic of John Dowland. I had never heard of John Dowland before, but he was apparently a composer of renown in the 16th century (and there's a lot more than you ever wanted to know about John Dowland on this site, which has an odd design so don't be put off).

Anyway, Dowland was, possibly, born in Dalkey. "Dowland was a friend of Shakespeare and musician at the court of Queen Elizabeth I. It is said his descriptions of the Dalkey coast inspired the setting for Elsinore in 'Hamlet'." Who knew? (Obviously, lots of people, but not me.)

Anyway, continue on up and you come to the top where the views are spectacular. A sunny day is great, but even better is a day like today when the seas are a little rough and there are dark clouds on the horizon. The sun shining on Dalkey Island with rough seas racing past - just great.

I lingered at the top for about 15 minutes - looking at the island, at the tops of the houses of the rich and famous, and in the distance at the people (men presumably, lunatics certainly) who were getting in for a swim at the Vico bathing site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger