Thursday, December 15, 2005

Oh what fun it is to ride a monopoly . . .

Having a monopoly must be great fun. I'd love to control one myself. I'm sure the folks who run Greenstar are having a whale of a time.

For the year 2005 I will owe Greenstar be €264. However, due to Greenstar's policy of making sure they always have a lot of cash on hand, oh sorry, no, that's not it, of making sure that no customer leaves the EU owing Greenstar for their rubbish collections, I will have paid €392. (Is there any reasonable explanation for this business of charging everyone the maximum?)

I'll be getting my €128 back on January 27, the day the first 2006 payment is due. Now, whatever about Greenstar's decision to charge everyone the maximum amount during 2005 when they had no history to go on, it is practically criminal to insist on this again in 2006. My monthly charge should be €23.34 (approx), but instead Greenstar demands €37.82 each month. They promise I'll get a refund in 2007.

Thanks, but no thanks. I see no reason for Greenstar to hold so much of my money. First of all, I already have a bank and don't need a second one. Second, companies sometimes do go bankrupt. What are the chances I'll get my refund if something goes seriously awry with Greenstar's accounts? Yeah.

Greenstar's behavior is almost loan shark-like. They know we can't go anywhere else for our rubbish collection so they shake us down for far more than we should have to pay and promise a refund next year. In the meantime they have the use of money belonging to thousands of customers who have no say in how that money is used or how Greenstar manages its accounts. How could they resist that much fun?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what charges are you paying since in 2006 and 2007.
Greenstar are actively trying to do in Cork what they did in Wicklow and I for one am not impressed

1:06 PM, January 10, 2008  
Blogger Eagle said...

Well, since then two other companies have come on to the market here so we have a choice of three different services. I now use Allied Waste, which uses a tagging system. You have to buy tags for €10 each and attach one to the bin each time you put it out.

My annual charges have come down to around €120 thanks to this change.

1:19 PM, January 10, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger