Friday, October 01, 2004

250,000 for what?

Okay, I actually acted like a concerned citizen (usually, I just talk like I care). I followed Caroline's advice and went to the civic offices on the main street to view the plans for the new 250,000 seafront development I talked about below.

As I was walking in, I was actually feeling kind of up-beat. I went in figuring that what I was going to see might really be impressive enough to change my view on this. Yes, I have my reservations about the seafront generally, but I thought to myself "this might be a nice start to a change down there". I wasn't just trying to corral my cynicism; I was positive, hopeful.

How foolish I was. First, I was surprised that the plans weren't on display. In my total ignorance, I expected to find some form of model or at least some nice artistic rendition right inside the door, near where you pay the motor tax. Uh-uh.

I asked at the desk and I was told I had to go stand at the far of the end of the counter. Now I'm feeling like a moron. Already my positive feelings are waning. But, still I figured that when I see the plans I'll feel better about it.

A polite, pleasant woman came out to ask me what I was looking for. I explained and she left and then came back with a small green folder.

I opened the folder and my disappointment turned to annoyance. There were a few pages with words describing the development and one colored picture that was really just a technical drawing. Lots of lines and explanations like "granite seating", "raised mounds", etc. No artistic rendering. I had to try and conjure up a picture of it from the technical drawing.

If our town officials really had to sell this plan to the Bray public, they'd have done a much better job than this. I left the office feeling that the officials don't want us to see how little we're really getting for the quarter of a million euros. Some granite benches and two mounds of dirt is the impression I was left with. I'm sure a lick of paint is included somewhere too.

I don't really mind if the seafront is changed, but if this is all we can get for this amount of money then I say save the cash and leave the bandstand as it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger