Monday, March 07, 2005

Snow job

Unbelievable how 3/4" (I'm being generous) of snow caused so much trouble in Bray and beyond last week. Was there even a single truck out salting or sanding the roads? I have my doubts. Traffic was at a standstill through the town and only barely moving on the Southern Cross.

And, as if the roads weren't bad enough, there were the morons who helped make a tough situation impossible. I know snow is rare here, but surely the basics could be explained, maybe with radio spots on snowy days? Here's what I remember from driver's education classes in upstate NY:
  1. bring a bag of sand in the car in case you get stuck on an icy patch (I realize that very few people had this available to them last week, but it's not a bad idea to get one)
  2. accelerate and decelerate SLOWLY – quick pumps are better than slamming on the brakes and holding the pedal down
  3. drive in as high a gear as you can without stalling
  4. leave a lot of room between you and the guy in front
  5. signal turns well in advance
I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two items, but this would be a good start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger