Saturday, March 26, 2005

Free Compost bins?

Wow! South Dublin County Council is giving compost bins to anyone who asks for one. They must really want people to composte their waste. Out here, you gotta fork out the €50 (or €120 or whatever) for you composte bin.

I still haven't bought one. I've been separating the rubbish pretty faithfully, but at the end of the month when I'm putting out the bin (so far once a month) I just put all the cartons and composte in too. It doesn't cost me anything and I'm not that keen on having a composte bin in the yard. I suspect that the bin will be full long before anything has broken down into spreadable composte. What then?

Near the end of the year, I'll probably get one because it looks like we'll have to pay by weight next year.

{I'm not keen on government bodies giving things away, to be honest. However, the argument in favor of free rubbish collection in urban environments that existed when it first started - waste is a health hazard - is no less relevant today than it was years ago.}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger